- Build a new 6.0 vCenter
- 1 month later, upgrade an existing 5.5 vCenter to 6.0
How to join both vCenter’s to the same Single Sign-On (SSO) domain so they can use to the cross vCenter vMotion feature?
- Install a new 6.0 VC (new SSO domain ex. SSO-new-6.0)
- Upgrade the current 5.5 VC to 6.0. Un-install 6.0. Re-install 6.0 choosing the 6.0 VC SSO domain (SSO-new-6.0)
Note – This will allow you to drain the upgraded 5.5 VC so it can be decommissioned.
- Upgrade the 5.5 VC to 6.0 (existing SSO domain ex. 55-SSO remains)
- Install a new 6.0 VC joining the 55-SSO domain.
Note- If you plan to “drain” and decommission the upgraded 6.0 VC, you will need to re-install the fresh 6.0 VC since it was joined the to decommed SSO domain.
As of May 2015, there is no way to dis-join the decommed SSO domain and join to another 6.0 SSO domain. You can not “promote” the fresh 6.0 VC as the primary SSO domain.